Does My Child Have Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is an inherited condition that makes reading, spelling, and written composition very difficult.
If a child or adult in your family has three or more of the following warning signs, please learn more about dyslexia. A person does not have to have all these warning signs to possibly have dyslexia.
Dyslexia is a lifelong condition that a person does not “outgrow.” Please don’t wait!
-Warning Signs of Dyslexia-
Warning signs may develop as early as age one.
- delayed speech
- mixing up the sounds and syllables in long words
- constant confusion of left and right
- late establishing a dominant hand
- difficulty learning to tie shoes
- trouble memorizing their address and phone number
- can’t remember the alphabet
- can’t create words that rhyme
- chronic ear infections
- severe reactions to childhood illnesses
- a close relative with dyslexia
In Elementary School
- any of the preschool symptoms listed previously
- slow, non-automatic handwriting that is difficult to read
- letter or number reversals continuing past first grade
- extreme difficulty learning cursive
- slow, choppy, inaccurate reading; guesses based on shape or context
- skips or misreads prepositions (at, to, of) and ignores
- ends or beginning of words
- often can’t remember sight words (they, were, does)
- can’t sound out new words
- terrible spelling
- difficulty telling time on a clock with hands
- trouble memorizing multiplication tables
- when speaking, difficulty finding the correct word
- (lots of “whatyamacallits” and “thingies”)
- common sayings come out slightly twisted
- extremely messy bedroom, backpack and desk
- homework wars
- dreads going to school: complains of stomachaches or headaches,
- or may have nightmares about school
In High School
- any of the warning signs listed for preschool and elementary
- limited vocabulary
- extremely poor written expression; large difference between
- verbal skills and written compositions
- unable to master a foreign language
- difficulty reading printed music
- poor grades in many classes
- may drop out of high school
- education history similar to above
- slow reading
- may have to read a page 2 or 3 times to understand it
- sometimes confuses b and d, especially when tired or sick
- terrible spelling
- difficulty putting thoughts onto paper; dreads writing memos or letters
- often gets lost, even in a familiar city
- still has difficulty with right versus left
At Rise Above Dyslexia, LLC, we are certified dyslexia specialists with many years of experience. We can help! Call us today for a free 30-minute telephone consultation (208) 425-6560. We serve the Boise area and Treasure Valley in Idaho.
- Targeted Dyslexia Tutoring: We provide intensive instruction in spelling, reading, basic grammar and punctuation, using proven research-based tutoring methods specifically for students with dyslexia.
- Consultations and Screenings: At Rise Above Dyslexia, we also provide consultations and screenings.
An initial, low-cost consultation is the best way to find out if you are on the right course without wasting thousands of dollars on the wrong tutoring program or therapy.
An in-depth screening and consultation is also available. This will determine if your child fits the dyslexic profile, and includes a written report with recommendations for tutoring and special accommodations.
Our goals are simple:
- Educate and support parents.
- Close the gap in reading and spelling as soon as possible.
- Help restore confidence, hope and independence for
every dyslexic student.
We can empower you or someone you love. Call us today for a free 30-minute phone consultation! (208) 425-6560